Saturday 2 June 2012

Ardmucknish Bay

It was the Queen's diamond jubilee weekend with two days public holiday, and we were up at North Ledaig caravan park near Connel. From the caravan we had a fantastic view across Ardmucknish Bay to Mull and Moidart  and,  more to the point, only about a hundred yards or so to the shingle beach.  So when the first morning broke calm and clear I was quickly on the water and heading over towards Dunstaffnage.


The Bay was shallow, with the bottom clearly visible until the crossing to Eilean Mor.  This is the entrance to Loch Etive and there was a strong flood out of the loch that quickly took me over to the island. From there to the peninsula that houses Dunstaffnage Castle was a short hop.  The castle was surrounded by trees so there was not a lot I could see but at the first bay (Camas Rubha na Liathaig) up the coast the new college being built at Dunstaffnage came into view, a large rather dominating structure.  The coast from there towards Oban was  made up of small rocky outcrops and grassy slopes with a large fish farm just offshore.  Ganavan came into view, unexpectedly revealing modern flats and housing rather than the expected caravan and camping park.  It's a nice spot and I'm sure the houses brought in a lot more money that the campsite ever would.  The houses though aren't too intrusive and well laid out.


After a short stop and given time constraints I made back rather than going the extra mile to Oban - pity.  On the way back I took the passage at Eilean Mor into Dunstaffnage Bay and round the other side of the island.


The tide had turned and water was flooding into Loch Etive - I was surprised to see on the Garmin trace of my route that I'd taken a sharp deviation upstream as I hit the current.  Not something I'd been aware off.  Wildlife wise there was nothing much to report.  Weather - sunny and calm.


Garmin details and GPX file: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/185927957

No comments:

Post a Comment