Monday 4 June 2012

Lismore

A fine clear day.  Perfect for heading out into Loch Linnhe and around the islands at the North end of Lismore. The start was at a fine lay-by beside the Sound of Shuna - good parking and easy access to the water.  A group of 5 kayakers had just put in when I arrived and set off down toward the marina at the South end of the sound. Didn't see them again until I arrived back -  wonder where they went?   Anyway, I headed straight across the Sound and followed the coast of Shuna to just opposite Castle Shuna. The castle didn't seem much to write home about and being surrounded by spruce plantations didn't help.  It was good though to see a couple of people busying themselves on the island farm - and the farmhouse standing proud and in good repair. Apparently the island was put up for sale in 2012 - for £1.85m.


From the calm crystal clear waters at the tip of Shuna I set off for the small islands sitting to the North of Lismore.  The islands are low lieing and occupied by nesting gulls and seals.  In fact the the first island I came to after the 1.5k crossing, a kelp covered rock really, was occupied by a group of seals who despite my efforts to sneak passed, dived into the water en masse, and soon I had their bobbing heads al around me.  Stopping for a short break on Eilean Gainimh I was haranged by the gulls who seemed to be nesting on the island.  Great views all around, right up Loch Linnhe to the NE and down to the Glen Sanda quarry to the SW - the Glencoe mountains visible to the E.


By now dark clouds had gathered to the South of Lismore and it looked as though someone was getting wet somewhere. It was still dry and sunny with me but the previously calm sea was now distinctly choppy and a fair old breeze was blowing up Loch Linnhe.  It didn't take long though to cross over to the islands and skerries around Port Ramsay on Lismore.  Passing to the E of Eliean Ramsay, I spotted another seal colony on the outer skerries - this time they stayed put as I headed towards the peninsula at the S end of Port Ramsay bay.


The green ridge, Glas Dhrium, on the peninsula had some visible remains of lime workings - a lime kiln and a couple of ruined cottages.  Lismore was the centre of a substantial lime industry over a hunded years ago with coal for the kilns being brought in from Glasgow by boats that returned full of lime.  I would see more lime workings later near Port Ramsay village and on Eilean nan Caorach. 


On my way N I picked my way through the islands of Port Ramsay to the northern tip of Lismore, pausing before crossing the channel to allow the fast 'worker' ferry from Glen Sanda quarry to pass.  Quickly crossing the tidal stream, which did it's best to try a push me round the 'wrong' side of Eilean nan Caorach, I paused to have a look at the lime workings on the island. Substantial, with a large lime kiln and a couple of the old cottages still roofed and in good repair.


Another quick channel crossing took me to Castle Stalker and from there it was back up the coast to the car.   All in all a great day - great views and weather and calm seas.



Garmin details and GPX file: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/185927903

No comments:

Post a Comment