Thursday 12 July 2012

Upper Loch Torridon

High tide and an easy put in at Torridon village was followed by a diagonal route across the loch in glassy seas.

The surrounding mountains reflected clearly in the water and a couple of seals followed me for a wee while.  The combination of calm seas and reflections somehow made it harder to stay balanced  - I think I was struggling to see the horizon and kept leaning to one side. After just over a mile and a half I arrived at the south shore at Stron an Dubh-aird.  From there I followed the south shore cutting across the mouths of the various bays (Obs).

By now the glassy sea had gone and there was a wind blowing down the loch from the West causing small waves.  Although the main road runs fairly close to the loch it wasn't visible until Ob Mheallaidh.  The coast was fairly low with the odd rocky outcrop, fish farm and house, behind and to the right was the grandeur of the Ben Alligin and Liathach whilst ahead was the low promontory that nearly closes off the loch at the narrows leading to Loch Shieldaig.


The plan had been to paddle across the narrows, current permitting, and make my way back by the north shore.  After a short rest stop I made my way along the coast of the promontory but as I reached Camas an Leim near to the tip the wind reached such a strength that I was hardly moving forward.  After ten minutes at less than one mile per hour I'd had enough, although tempted to try and cut across to the north shore at that point I decided to simply go with the wind and let it blow me back along the south shore.


The waves were bigger now and I fairly rattled along - that is until I was half way along the loch when I suddenly had wind in my face again. This seemed to be comimg down from Coire Mhic Nobuil between Ben Alligin and Liathach. This resulted in confused sea for a spell before the new NE wind started to dominate.  Not wishing to continue skipping along the tops of the waves now firmly coming from the NE I turned into them and made for the north shore, arriving just East of Torridon House.  In the lee of the mountains I was back to calm clear seas and enjoyed the short trip back to Torridon Village through mussel and seaweed covered rocks, small fish darting around the shallows and the odd bigger one jumping.




No comments:

Post a Comment